Rideshare apps have become a major contributor to the way people get around. According to a fall 2018 Pew Research Center survey, 36% of adults in the United States reported using a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft to get around. If you are one of the millions of people who use Uber and Lyft, you can appreciate the ease of pushing a few buttons and being on your way. Most rideshare trips go just fine, but like any other time you get into a car, there are inherent risks.
You may have a basic idea of what to do if you are in a car accident, but what happens if you are in an Uber or Lyft accident? Our experienced Richardson Uber and Lyft accident lawyer at Hartley Law Firm can guide you through the process.
Are Uber and Lyft Accidents the Same as Other Auto Accidents?
Unlike other accidents, rideshare vehicle accidents have their own unique set of circumstances because the rideshare company’s insurance coverage may come into play. Determining who caused the accident will be an important part of your Uber or Lyft accident claim.
Does It Matter Who Was at Fault?
If you’re injured in an Uber or Lyft accident in Richardson, Texas, you’ll file your initial claim with the responsible party’s insurance. If you’re not sure who’s at fault, your Richardson, TX Uber and Lyft accident attorney can help you determine liability. Contact us today!
If the Uber or Lyft driver caused the accident, the maximum amount a passenger can receive from the rideshare company’s insurance is $1 million. However, the driver may have their own auto insurance that may cover some of the costs of your injuries.
You may also be able to sue the driver directly, especially if either insurance company fights your claim or the costs associated with your injuries exceed the amount of the policy. Contact our office for advice on your specific claim.
The Other Driver Was at Fault
If you were a passenger in the rideshare vehicle and your Uber or Lyft driver was not at fault, you’ll file a claim against the other driver and their insurance company. However, if that driver is uninsured, you’ll file a claim with the rideshare company’s insurance. Rideshare companies maintain uninsured motorist insurance coverage, which covers claims up to $250,000.
Accidents occur for many reasons, but some are more common than others. One of the most common causes of rideshare accidents is distracted driving. Texting and driving is a problem for many drivers, but Uber and Lyft drivers rely on a phone app for work. This means they may be more likely to check their phones while driving.
Here are some other common causes of rideshare accidents:
- Driving on unfamiliar roads causing confusion or difficulty navigating;
- Driver fatigue, especially with late night and early morning pickups;
- Unsafe parking or driver pickup/drop-off locations;
- Failure to properly maintain the rideshare vehicle;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Poor weather or road conditions; and
- Driving at excessive speeds so the driver can maximize the number of rides they acquire.
Each accident has its own unique circumstances. Determining the cause of your Uber or Lyft accident will be an important part of your claim. A Richardson, TX Uber and Lyft accident attorney can investigate your case and determine the cause of your accident. Contact us today!
It is important to contact a Richardson Uber and Lyft accident lawyer as soon as reasonably possible. The Texas statute of limitations provides two years for you to file a personal injury claim, starting from the date the injury occurred. If you don’t file within this period, a court will dismiss your case, and you won’t be able to recover compensation for your injuries. An attorney can help you file your claim on time with all the proper paperwork.
What to Do After an Uber or Lyft Accident
Everything seems to happen fast when you are in an accident. You may wonder what you should do. Here are some steps to take after an Uber or Lyft accident:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Emergency medical professionals may take you to the hospital from the scene, but in any event, you should seek medical attention soon after the accident.
- Screenshot your Uber or Lyft trip information. Try to include the trip time, driver’s information, car information, and the expected route.
- Call local law enforcement. Having a police report can serve as an official record of what happened and who was involved.
- Gather witness information. Collect contact information from all drivers and any witnesses.
- Take photos of the accident scene. Make sure you include the entire scene from a distance and get close-up images of the damage.
- Contact a rideshare attorney. They’ll help you file a claim and fight for fair compensation.
An experienced Richardson Uber and Lyft accident lawyer can make a huge difference in the success of your claim.
Choose a Richardson Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer You Can Trust
The attorneys at Hartley Law Firm are committed to pursuing results that exceed expectations. We will see your claim through every stage of the process, and we have the experience needed to take your case all the way to trial if necessary. Recognized for excellence in our personal injury work, we are confident in our ability to provide meaningful legal guidance and fight zealously for your rights. Contact us for your free case consultation.