How to File a Lawsuit After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas
There is nothing quite like a peaceful motorcycle ride on a sunny day. Unfortunately, not all days are sunny and not all rides are peaceful. In 2020, motorcycles accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities, despite the fact that they make up only 3% of all registered vehicles in the United States. There is an inherent danger that is present any time you are on the road. The difference between those in a car and those on a motorcycle is the amount of physical damage when accidents occur. Motorcycle accidents are rarely minor.
If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligent action or inaction, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The legal system can be complicated, but an experienced personal injury attorney can help you file a lawsuit after a motorcycle accident and smooth out the process. Contact us today!
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
Knowing what to do after a motorcycle accident can help strengthen your case when you go to file a lawsuit in Texas after a motorcycle accident. If you have already been in an accident, some of these steps may not apply, but they are good to know. You may be able to take action on some steps now.
- Contact law enforcement. Any time you are in an accident, it is a good idea to have an official police report you can refer to.
- Take photos. Use your phone to take photos of the accident scene and close-ups of the damage.
- Exchange contact information. Write down the other driver’s contact information and contacts for any witnesses present.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not think you are seriously injured at the time, the pain can take days, weeks, or even months to be fully realized.
- Keep thorough records. Medical bills, property damage, and other expenses should be recorded to help prove how much the accident has cost you.
- Do not admit guilt. It is important that you do not admit or imply any sort of responsibility for the accident. Your statement may be used against you.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney can negotiate on your behalf or file a lawsuit after a motorcycle accident.
In many cases, especially related to motorcycle accidents, seeking medical attention will be a necessity rather than an option. If there is any question as to whether you should call emergency medical services to the scene, you should call. There is nothing more important than your health, and everything else can be taken care of later.
How Do I File a Lawsuit After a Motorcycle Accident?
The Texas personal injury statute of limitations imposes a two-year deadline on filing a Texas motorcycle accident lawsuit from the time the accident occurred. After that, you will be barred from legal recovery. It is a good idea to act quickly.
Most motorcycle accident cases start with an insurance claim. Insurance companies are notorious for offering fast settlements that equal less than the actual value of your claim. You do not have to accept the first settlement you are offered. Once you accept a settlement, you cannot go back and request additional compensation. An attorney can help you understand your legal options, determine the value of your claim, and negotiate on your behalf.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your attorney may advise that you file a lawsuit in Texas after a motorcycle accident. They will be able to guide you through the process, gather evidence, build a case, and represent you during the trial.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The experienced Texas personal injury lawyers at Hartley Law Firm understand how difficult it can be to navigate the legal system, especially in the wake of a serious motorcycle accident. Our award-winning law firm is committed to fighting for you so you can focus on healing.
Unlike other legal practices where your case is just a file number, we believe in making meaningful connections and have a community-first mindset. Hartley Law Firm serves clients throughout the Lonestar state. We look forward to helping you file a lawsuit after a motorcycle accident.
No one should have to suffer because of someone else’s actions. Contact us to schedule your free case consultation.