Semi-trucks and other large commercial trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds when fully loaded with freight. These massive vehicles often cause catastrophic damage in a collision. Severe, life-altering injuries and wrongful death are not uncommon in commercial truck accidents. Unfortunately, many truck accident victims are left with not only painful injuries requiring extensive medical care, but also overwhelming financial losses.
When a commercial truck driver or trucking company is negligent and causes an accident, victims may be entitled to compensation. This can include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, disability, permanent scarring and disfigurement, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, and other losses related to the incident. However, recovering damages in a truck accident case is often complex and challenging. If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a truck crash, consider working with a personal injury lawyer to pursue compensation.
Advantages of Working With a Personal Injury Attorney in a Commercial Truck Crash Case
When fault for a commercial truck accident lies with the driver or the trucking company, the company typically does everything possible to avoid taking responsibility for the crash and paying victims what they deserve. A skilled personal injury lawyer can help level the playing field and give accident victims a better chance at recovering full compensation. Here are five reasons to work with an attorney if you were injured in a commercial truck accident:
- Experience With Truck Accident Cases – Personal injury lawyers who focus on truck accidents have experience working with trucking companies, their insurers, and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Gathering and Preserving Evidence – An experienced personal injury lawyer will know how to identify and preserve evidence that can be used to establish liability in a crash and demonstrate the extent of the damages. Evidence that may be used in a truck accident injury claim may include trucking company employment records, event data recorder (EDR) data from the truck, dash camera footage, medical records, and physical evidence from the crash scene. A skilled attorney will know how to gather this evidence and preserve it so the evidence is not lost or destroyed.
- Knowledge of Insurance Policy Requirements – Commercial trucking companies are required by law to carry large liability policies to provide coverage for accidents caused by their drivers. An experienced truck accident lawyer understands the ins and outs of these policies and how to obtain maximum compensation from them.
- Understanding of Complex Federal Regulations – The FMCSA has created a complex set of rules that commercial trucking companies must abide by, such as hours-of-service regulations for drivers and maintenance requirements for commercial vehicles. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can investigate and determine if those regulations were violated in a crash, and use that information to build a strong case for victims.
- Advocacy – Most personal injury claims resolve via a settlement agreement. An experienced personal injury lawyer will know how to effectively negotiate with insurance companies, pursue the highest settlement possible, and advocate fiercely on the client’s behalf.
Speak with a Carrollton, TX Truck Crash Injury Lawyer
If you or someone you care about was injured in a crash involving a commercial truck, contact Collin County personal injury attorney Austin F. Hartley for help. Call the Hartley Law Firm today at 469-289-6063 to schedule your free initial consultation.